|Number of Skills:||10|
|Total Skill Points:||61|
|Total Quest Skills:||3|
Always on the lookout for profit, Merchants are the economic experts of Ragnarok Online. Setting out to make a fortune, playing as a Merchant will allow the player to get the most out of every last zeny. Merchants are also handy with items, being able to carry far more than other classes thanks to their Enlarge Weight Limit and Pushcart abilities.
Although a Merchant is bound to feel more at home at the marketplaces and auction houses of Rune-Midgard, they can still hold their own in battle, specially when it comes to defending their wares. Inherently sturdy, Merchants are able to equip most of the game's heavy armor and melee weapons, allowing good defense and decent attack.
After a life of buying and selling items, Merchant second jobs provide the possibility of making their own. Merchants can choose to change into a Blacksmith or an Alchemist at Job levels 40 to 50.
Starting stats for merchants depend mostly on whether the player wishes to make a battle-oriented character or concentrate on the stats needed after job change in order to make items successfully. In the first case, a swordsman-like starting build is a good idea, both in its VIT and AGI variants. In the second case, the player should keep in mind that Blacksmiths' forging success and Alchemists' potion mixing depend heavily on high DEX and LUK, as well as INT in the case of Alchemists.
1. Head to Alberta and enter the Merchant Guild in the southwest corner (alberta 36,42). Inside talk to Chief Mahnsoo (Merchant) behind the desk to sign up to become a Merchant.
2. He will ask you to pay a fee of 1,000 Zeny before beginning the quest. You can pay half (500z) before and half (500z) after the quest if you lack the funds. You will also be given a serial number and destination. Do not forget them! The serial number is randomly chosen between one of these:
The destination is one of the following:
3. Head down into the warehouse and speak with the warehouse supervisor (alberta_in 28,29). You must the enter the serial number as well as the destination of the parcel. The supervisor will give you a parcel even if you enter the wrong serial number and/or destination, but the receiving NPC will not accept it, thus requiring the player to start over.
4. Deliver the parcel to the appropriate NPC. You will receive a Receipt from them if step 3 was done correctly.
5. Return to Alberta and present the supervisor with the receipt, then speak with Chief Mahnsoo again to become a Merchant.
Merchants can use most types of armour available to swordsmen and thieves: standard armour up to chain mail, boots, manteaus and bucklers. They can also wear saint's robes and the merchant-only Lord's Clothes.