The Novice Training Grounds is a facility of which all new characters are sent to as a Novice. It contains many tutorials, free EXP and items to new players. Most people choose to stay in them until Job Level 10, when they can turn into first classes/expanded classes. The training grounds has 4 original maps, and 6 maps that are identical except for the monsters they hold. The training grounds has no Kafra storage or Mail service, and thus no way to recive items from outside the grounds. The training grounds has many areas that are normally inacessable, but are accessable via Fly Wings. Once the player leaves the training grounds, it is impossible to return.
- Note: Training Grounds are no longer accesible in iRO. Instead, new players can learn the basics of the game at Royal Criatura Academy in Izlude. A small guide can be found below, while an exhaustive one was written in WarpPortal's forums (here)
1. Speak to Captain Carocc.
2. Go south and exit through the portal.
3. Speak to Captain Carocc again.
4. Speak to Criatura Academy staff (122,207)
5. Use Apple Juice
6. Speak to Criatura Academy staff again. Receive some EXP and 30 Novice Potion. Choose any option.
- Optional: Increase AGI
- 1a. Go north and speak to Increase Agi Aco (127,229) Choose "Yes please."
- Optional Quest: Play Dead
- 1b. Speak to Instructor Argos (140,260) Choose "I want to learn it!"
- 2b. Wait at least 20 seconds and speak to him again. Receive the Play Dead skill.
7. Go north and enter the portals at (128,255).
8. Speak to Academy receptionist (100,39) and choose "Register for the Academy." Receive some EXP, 300 Novice Potion, Novice equipment, and Criatura Hair Coupon.
9. Talk to Late Student (103,42)
10. Speak to Lil Oldman (101, 46) and he'll tell you to speak to different instructors.
- Note: this section refers to the old Training Grounds. On iRO the following NPCs don't appear any longer.
- Eden Group Officer (97, 50): This NPC can teleport you to Prontera, Morroc, Geffen, Payon, or Alberta if your base level is 10 or higher.
- Trainer (103, 50): This NPC can transfer you to any of the five levels of the combat area.
- Merchant (100, 50): This NPC sells Potato, but it's only practical use is for selling your items.
First Job Guides
The NPCs in the combat area that represent each of the game's six first jobs offer manuals, quests, and teleportation to job change NPCs outside of the Training Grounds. The manuals allow you to try a few of the first job skills. The quests offer a reward of experience and various items.
The available manuals are:
- Swordsman Manual: Maximum SP + 100. Enables the use of level 1 Bash, level 1 Provoke, and level 1 Magnum Break.
- Mage Manual: Maximum SP + 100. Enables the use of level 1 Cold Bolt, level 1 Fire Wall, and level 1 Fire Bolt.
- Thief Manual: Maximum SP + 100. Enables the use of level 3 Double Attack, level 1 Steal, level 1 Hiding, and level 1 Envenom.
- Merchant Manual: Maximum SP + 100. Enables the use of level 1 Discount, level 10 Overcharge, level 1 Item Appraisal, and level 1 Mammonite.
- Archer Manual: Maximum SP + 100. Enables the use of level 1 Owl's Eye and level 1 Improve Concentration.
- Acolyte Manual: Maximum SP + 100. Enables use of level 1 Heal, level 1 Increase AGI, and level 1 Blessing.
Note: Remember to reequip your items after receiving a manual.
The available quests are:
- Swordsman: Kill 2 Picky to receive 7,500 base experience, 150 job experience, and 200 Novice Potion.
- Mage: Kill 5 Lunatic to receive 7,500 base experience, 150 job experience, and 30 Novice Butterfly Wing.
- Thief: Kill 5 Willow to receive 7,500 base experience, some job experience, and 50 Novice Fly Wing.
- Merchant: Pay 300 zeny to receive 7,500 base experience, some job experience, and 7 Phracon.
Some of the quests require you to kill monsters on different levels of the combat area. Talk with the 'Trainer' NPC (103, 50) to move between levels.
The monsters on each of the levels are:
- Level 1: Poring, Drops, Lunatic, Fabre, Chonchon
- Level 2: Condor, Picky, Willow, Fabre, Roda Frog
- Level 3: Condor, Picky, Willow, Fabre, Roda Frog
- Level 4: Rocker, Spore, Fabre
- Level 5: Rocker, Spore, Fabre