Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is Ragnarok Online?
- Ragnarok Online (RO) is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG). See the Introduction to Ragnarok Online for details.
Q: Where can I get the game?
- International Ragnarok Online currently has an official website where the program is available for download. We also host the clients here at iRO Wiki.
Q: How can I sign up?
Q: Is there a version of the game for Mac OS X?
- There is no official version of the game for Mac OS X, however it's possible to run the game under Mac OS X using CrossOver Games with varying degrees of success. You can also run the game under Windows on a Mac using BootCamp.
Q: Is there a monthly fee?
- Any unblocked account can create three characters free of charge. A VIP subscription is available for additional benefits. Also see: Payment Method, IRO Servers Comparison
Q: What if I don't have a credit/debit card?
- There are many other payment options as well, such as the following:
- 1. Pay-by-Cash which can accept payment by mail through cash, check, or money order. Keep in mind this method will take longer to process.
- 2. PayPal where the basic cost will also stay the same.
- 3. Ultimate Game Cards/Gravity Game Cards/GoCash Cards
- And more...
Q: What is Sakray?
- Sakray is a test server. It tests game updates, and is wiped occasionally (deleting all of your characters/items).
Q: How do I make a character?
- Simply select an empty box (you are given 9) and click on the Make button.
Q: What stats should I put for my starting character?
- Stats vary based on which job you intend to become. Individual class pages, as well as other fansite resources are good tools to use when planning a character's build (their stats and skills).
Q: How do I move and attack?
- See Basic Game Control for details.
- At this point in the game, basic training is complete. Novices can become one of many classes that are available in the game. See: Classes
Q: What class is the best?
- Each class is different in its own way. Some are more useful in PVM while others are used more for PVP and WoE. Some are useful in almost all situations; these are generally the most popular classes.
Q: I'm level xx, where should I level?
- There are no generally "good" areas to level. However, politely asking an experienced player is a good starting point. Leveling areas are dependent on class, skills, stats, and gear. For information for some classes and builds, see Leveling Spots.
Q: Why did a monster attack me even though I didn't attack it?
- That is an aggressive monster and will attack even when unprovoked. There are many types of monsters. See Monsters for more detail.
Q: How do I make a guild?
- See Guild System for details.
Q: What is a Game Master and how do I tell who one is?
- See Game Master for details.
Q: Can I transfer my characters to another server?
- Using the Value Added Service, players can transfer between servers. Transfers to or from Sakray are not available.
Q: Can I get a Stat or Skill Reset?
- For characters under Base Level 40, talk to the Hypnotist in Prontera (146, 232), who will give you a free Skill Reset. Talk to the Mesmerist in Prontera (155,185) (moved to [Eden Hall] (17,35)) for a free one-time reset. Further Stat resetting requires reset stones and Skill resetting requires a Neuralizer from the Kafra Shop.
Q: Can I change my character's name without remaking it?
- Using the Value Added Service, you can rename any character provided the new name isn't in use by anyone else on that server.
Q: Can I change my character's gender?
- Gender is determined for your entire account at the time of registration. To change your account gender, you can use the Value Added Service which will change the gender of all characters on all servers. Individual characters' genders cannot be different (i.e. it is impossible to have male and female characters on the same account).
Q: Can I move characters between my accounts?
- Using the Value Added Service, you can transfer characters between different game accounts under the same Warp Portal account. Characters being moved to an account of the opposite gender will be gender-changed, including Dancer/Bard types.
If there are terms you do not understand, please check the Glossary.
Etiquette & Rules
Q: I see characters that move by themselves without responding. What are they, and what should I do?
- There is a possibility that this is a bot; a program used by players to automate leveling or other activities. Note that sometimes these people are simply busy or are not in a state to talk. If you suspect a bot, send a support ticket to the GMs with the ill-mannered report option. See Reporting Bots Guideline for more efficient and correct ways to report.
Q: How should I deal with annoying players?
- First of all, there is the /notalkmsg command to completely block off all public chat from being written in your chat box. If he is sending private messages, you can block him with the /ex <character name> command. The best solution for trolls is to simply ignore them.
Q: Someone is persistently asking for money/items. How should I respond?
- Refuse politely at first, but if the problem escalates you can report them. There is the /notrade command to automatically refuse deals, if they are constantly requesting for deals.
Q: What is the best way to attract people's attention?
- Give greetings, and talk to them politely. Respect other people's needs to do other activities. For requesting heals or buffs, ask once or twice. There are many reasons people do not respond. In general, be nice and avoid being demanding. As with all etiquette online, avoid talking in all caps, swearing, or demanding.
Q: Why do I get "Failed to get 'xxx.rgz' or 'xxx.gpf'" when patching?
- This is either caused by a busy patch server or a previously failed patch. Wait a few minutes and then try again. If your connection is unreliable or slow (56kbps), an alternative method is to download the individual patch files using a download manager. The client will use these individual patch files instead.
Q: Why do I experience lag when playing?
- A good connection between client and server depends on the internet service provider (ISP). With a good ISP, lag is minimal. Sometimes, it is the server that is bogged down. In this case, others will experience the lag as well. Frequently, lag problems are caused by problems with servers between the user and the Ragnarok Online server. Use of programs such as Tracert can help in determining what the source of the lag is. With some combinations of hardware and ISP, heavy uploads from other users on the connection will cause unacceptable lag - this would show up on a Tracert as high ping times at the first or second hop. In this case, performance can be improved by ensuring that nobody using the connection is using any peer-to-peer file sharing programs. Another possible cause of lag is the user's computer - this can be due to insufficient hardware for acceptable performance, other programs running in the background, or malware problems. In these cases performance can be improved by closing any other open programs, ensuring the computer is free of any malware, and playing with some of the graphics options (lightmap, fog, effects) disabled.
Q: My character is stuck. How do I become unstuck?
- If your character loads completely, and you are stuck in a location you cannot move from, using a Taekwon class, using Leap will also work. Occasionally a character will become bugged and will not load completely (ex, items are not shown). Relogging will sometimes fix the problem, as will restarting and/or waiting several minutes. If the problem persists, re-install the program and re-patch. If that fails, contact a GM through the website. or will fix the problem. Depending on the location, if you are a
Q: What is a Time Gap Error?
- It is an error caused by packet loss or extreme network latency (lag). It can sometimes be caused by incorrect network or BIOS settings, but most often is is simply a result of lag. It often occurs in the event of a prolonged "lag spike".
Q: What does the "cannot init D3D or GRF file has a problem!" error mean?
- It is an error dealing with graphics. Run the RO setup program, and verify that a graphics mode has been selected in the first option box. If there are no options available, compatible graphics drivers are not installed. Please verify that hardware requirements are fulfilled and drivers are up-to-date. Also, please be sure to have the latest version of DirectX installed. Running Windows in 16-bit color mode may also solve this problem.
Q: Help! I keep getting a "Failed to connect to server." message!
- This problem is usually caused by a faulty connection between client and game server. First, make sure the internet is accessible, and that any software firewalls are configured to allow RO to access the internet. If the problem persists, the server may be down, or there may be problems with a server between the user and the Ragnarok Online server. Try again later and check the server status with sites such as this. As a last resort, contact a GM through the website.
Q: The patch server is down, can I play without patching?
- Yes, it is possible. To start the game and bypass the patcher, you need to start the game with an argument. Either from the command line or a shortcut, append to ragexe.exe "-1rag1" for the main servers or "-1sak1" for Sakray. Command line example: C:\Programs\Ragnarok Online>ragexe.exe -1rag1. Shortcut example : "C:\Programs\Ragnarok Online\ragexe.exe" -1rag1 (with the quotes). However, without the latest patch, the game client stability is not at its best.