|First Class||Transcendent First Class|
|Swordman||Mage||Archer||Merchant||Thief||Acolyte||High First Class|
|First Class||Second Class (2-1)||Second Class (2-2)||Transcendent Second Class (2-1)||Transcendent Second Class (2-2)||Third Class (3-1)||Third Class (3-2)|
|Swordman||Knight||Crusader||Lord Knight||Paladin||Rune Knight||Royal Guard|
|Thief||Assassin||Rogue||Assassin Cross||Stalker||Guillotine Cross||Shadow Chaser|
|Acolyte||Priest||Monk||High Priest||Champion||Arch Bishop||Sura|
|TaeKwon Kid||Ninja||Gunslinger||Super Novice|
|Soul Linker||TaeKwon Master||Kagerou||Oboro|
In Ragnarok Online, a character's abilities and skills are defined by their class (also known as job). Characters start out as Novices, then once they reach Job Level 10 they can choose between a variety of first job classes. After attaining Job Level 40 (or higher for more skill points) they can then change to a second class job, either 2-1 or 2-2.
Once the character has reached Base Level 99 and Job Level 50 as a second class, they can choose to transcend and start the process again, being rewarded with a more powerful, transcendent character. It is always recommended to transcend, unless the character is a Baby class, which cannot transcend. See the Transcendent Article for more information.
A 2-1 or 2-2 regular or transcendent character can then chose to change to a third class, which breaks the level 99 barrier. The current maximum base and job level for third classes are 150 and 50.
Alternatively, from Novice, players can choose to become the ultimate Novice, the Super Novice, or explore one of the Expanded classes.
- Once a character has chosen their second class job, they will not be able to choose another job path even after transcending. E.g., after a Swordman chooses the Knight path, and the Knight transcends, they must become a Lord Knight and cannot become a Paladin or any other class.
- A character can also only become the third class with the same base. E.g., a Lord Knight can only become a Rune Knight and not a Royal Guard.
- Stats and Skills are only reset once during the transcending / rebirth process. The character would have to use a stat reset / skill reset for any other circumstances.
- The job changes process can be confusing. An example of the general path is as follows:
- Start off as Novice
- Reach job level 10
- Choose a first class (Swordsman)
- Reach job level 40-50
- Choose a second class (Knight)
- Reach base level 99
- Rebirth (transcend)
- Now a base level 1 job level 1 High Novice (all stats and skills are reset)
- Reach job level 10
- Job change to the same first class (High Swordsman)
- Reach job level 40-50 (50 always recommended)
- Job change to the same transcendent class (Lord Knight)
- Reach base level 99 and job level 50-70 (70 always recommended)
- Job change to the third class job (Rune Knight)
- The character may now level up to base level 150 and job level 50