The Homunculus is a special pet which assist Alchemist classes in ways such as a support, an instant partymate, or a sacrifice for the player. Alchemist classes must go through the Bioethics Quest to unlock the appropriate skills required to create a Homunculus. After the quest, the skill Bioethics will be available to the player and the rest of the Homunculus skill branch will be available through the distribution of skill points.
Types of Homunculus
There are 4 types of Homunculi with various attributes unique to each.
Demi Human (iRO)
Brute (other RO)
Demi Human (iRO)
Formless (other RO)
Demi Human (iRO)
Brute (other RO)
Obtaining a Homunculus
- (not consumed)
Once an Embryo is obtained, use the skill Call Homunculus to summon the Homunculus. There is a chance to get 1 of the 4 homunculus and another chance to get 1 of the 2 sprites available to each type of homunculus. Although not completely proven, it is a popular "fact" that the creator of the embryo's stats plays in a role in the probability of summoning each Homunculus.
Homunculus Status and Skill Points
Homunculus have their own set of stats apart from their masters, these will have a set amount upon summoning and will vary as it levels up. With each level, a Homunculus will receive a certain amount points to each stat (STR, INT, DEX, AGI, VIT, LUK) depending on which type of Homunculus. These stats are invisible under the Homunculus stat window (Alt+R). The Homunculus's ATK, MATK, HIT, CRITICAL, DEF, MDEF, FLEE, and ASPD will be visible. To calculate the Homunculus's stats, use the following equations. The Homunculus also gains one skill point for every three levels. Unlike status points, one can apply these to whichever skill one would like.
Note that these are pre-renewal, and thus false.
- Min ATK = STR + [STR(Rounded down to the nearest multiple of 10) / 10]2 + Dex
- Max ATK = STR + [STR(Rounded down to the nearest multiple of 10) / 10]2 + Max(STR + Level, DEX)
MATK = INT + [INT(Rounded down to nearest multiple of 5)/5]2
HIT = Level + DEX
CRIT = [LUK/3] + 1
- Armor Def = [Level / 10] + [VIT / 5]
- VIT Def = VIT - 1
MDEF = [Level / 10] + [INT / 5]
FLEE = Level + AGI
ASPD = 200 - (Delay/10) + ( [4*Delay*AGI/1000] + [Delay*DEX/1000] ) / 10
Special note for Vanilmirth owners: Due to Instruction Change having an unfixed bug since 2007, the STR and INT bonus from Instruction Change will be lost when one re-summons their homunculus, changes maps or relogs.
- ATK = Floor((STR + DEX + LUK) / 3) + Floor(Base Level / 10)
- MATK = Base Level + INT + Floor((INT + DEX + LUK) / 3) + Floor(Base Level / 10) * 2
- HIT = Base Level + DEX + 150
- CRI = Floor(LUK / 3) + 1
- DEF = (VIT + Floor(Base Level / 10)) * 2 + Floor((AGI + Floor(Base Level / 10)) / 2) + Floor(Base Level / 2)
- FLEE = Base Level + AGI + Floor(Base Level / 10)
After evolving, the Homunculus' intimacy resets to 10 (Hate). Once its intimacy reaches 910 (1 point before Loyal intimacy) again, a fourth, new skill is unlocked.
Controlling the Homunculus
Here is a listing of all manual functions with the default AI. In general, there will be no need for any other manual functions in most Custom AIs
- Alt + Single Right Click: Target monster
- Alt + Double Right Click: Attack monster
- Alt + T: Standby, idle/passive mode, cancels all commands and returns to master
- Alt + Right Click Ground: Move to location (15 tile range)
- Alt + R: Information window
If the player is dead, manual commands can't be issued. The AI will continue to function as normal however.
AI is the brain behind the Homunculus. All Homunculus behavior is controlled by an AI script. There is a choice between the use of the default script or a custom-made script. The Default Script is both poorly made and simple. The primary problems with the default script are that the Homunculus will either kill steal everything (default AI'ed Vanilmirth and Filir) or will not attack anything at all (default AI'ed Amistr and Lif). Hence it is recommended to make a custom AI or use a premade one made by users. To switch between the Default AI and the User AI, use the /hoai command.
Once AI script is downloaded, go to the default RO directory. This is generally located at C:\Program Files\Gravity\Ragnarok Online\AI. Insert the downloaded AI Script into the USER_AI folder and relog or resummon the Homunculus. This should be done every time there is a change in script. While there are infinite possibilities with AI scripts, it is necessary to understand that there are things it can and cannot do. These limitations are what separates it from bots.
- Automatically attacking monsters within player's sight range
- Auto Casting Homunculus Skills, including ground skills
- Different tactics for individual monsters (ex: what priority to attack, using a skill on that monster etc)
- Reading the HP, SP, MAXHP and MAXSP values of the Homunculus or its owner
- Reading the target of a attacking monster (to avoid kill stealing)
- Reading the current animation or "motion" other actors are doing. (this is buggy when used on homun itself.
- Automatically shut down the Ragnarok Online client using
- If owner's alchemist is being attacked, it logs out after 5 seconds after calling os.exit()
- Otherwise, if the alchemist is not attacking or being attacked, that character will log out immediately after os.exit() is called.
- This may not work on Windows 7 and later, instead producing an error message and hanging the client, but not logging the user out until they click through the error or the server times out the connection.
- Detecting whether other players are in a party with the owner.
- Detecting who the owner of another homunculus is (GetV(V_OWNER,id) returns your ID, regardless of what the second argument is).
- Detecting status effects or ground effects
- Identifying skills used, or gathering any other information not listed above.
- Locating hidden players.
- Auto Feeding
- Auto Looting
- Using skills while their owner is Vending
- Homunculus maintain its AI when out of range of the Alchemist
- Having the Alchemist move around. (Except when auto casting the Castling Skill)
- Reading the HP, SP, MAXHP and MAXSP values of someone other than the Homunculus or its owner
- Auto-casting any player skills (Disabled after 5-Feb-2008)
- Using a 3rd party program.
- Reading in real time the output of the Homunculus traceai, so that one gains a read out on what is around the player (including things that the game client won`t show). According to a GM post on the iRO Forums "Doing this when monster leveling would not be such a big deal but in PVP/WoE purposes it is a very unfair/unintended thing. Users violating that rule will be suspended."
- Feeding the Homunculus or moving the owner around using a 3rd party program.
- Players are responsible for the actions of their Homunculus. For example, if the Homunculus kill-steals people, then the player is held accountable and may be punished accordingly.
Feeding and Intimacy
Much like pets, Homunculus require feeding. Feed the Homunculus when its hunger is between 11~25 to get 1 full point of intimacy. Feeding at the other times will give less than a full point and may even reduce the intimacy. If one forgets to feed the Homunculus, its intimacy will decrease, and it will leave the master if it goes below zero intimacy.
|Starving at 1%~10%||-1 (every 200 seconds)|
The homunculus also display emotes as a way of warning the player. The emotes used are:
|Hunger below 11% every 20 seconds||/sob|
|Player feeds without proper item||/swt|
|Player feeds at 1%~75%||/ho|
|Player feeds at 76%~90%||/swt2|
|Player feeds at 91%~100%||/wah|
|Failed to use skill||/...|
|Failed to evolve||/hmm|
Intimacy is crucial for evolution, obtaining the final skill, and AFKing. Intimacy has not been proven to affect Homunculus stat growth. Intimacy points will not show in the Homunculus window. However for each interval of intimacy points the Homunculus has, the window will show:
|1-3||Hate with Passion|
The player dying, the Homunculus dying, or the Homunculus vaporizing does not affect intimacy. Stressing it (other than using ultimate skills) is the only way that to lower its intimacy. One can stress the Homunculus by not feeding it (hunger < 11) or overfeeding it (hunger > 75).
Each hour of starving causes 18 Intimacy loss (3600 seconds per hour / 200 seconds per loss). If the player is away from the computer for a full 24 hours of starving, the Homunculus loses 432 Intimacy. If the player can no longer use Call Homunculus or Homunculus Resurrection, then the Homunculus has left its master for good. However, Alchemists are able to create a new Homunculus.
Experience & Leveling
- When a monster is killed by a homunculus alone:
- If a player kills a monster and his/her homunculus doesn't contribute to the kill at all:
- Player gets all Job Experience from the monster.
- Homunculus get no Experience at all,
- If a monster is killed by having both the player and his/her homunculus dealing damage to the monster.
- Player gets 105% of the monster's Base Experience. For example, a gives 720 base experience. If both the player and the homunculus participate in the fight, the player gets 756 experience (720 * 1.05) instead!
- Player gets a portion of the monster's Job Experience based on how much damage is dealt by the player (the Job Experience pool is 105% of normal)
- Homunculus gets a portion of the monster's EXP based on how much damage is dealt by the homunculus
- Whenever the player dies, if the homunculus is above 80% HP, it will automatically be Vaporized. If it is below 80%, it will not vaporize and is able to continue to fight, and the player continues to receive EXP from Homunculus, but manual commands cannot be used.
- It's a common mis-conception that when a homunculus defeats a monster, they get the job experience of the monster. In actuality, they get a copy of the base exp of the monster, modified by the damage they did to it and how many people attacked it.
- Experience gained by a homunculus owner from unassisted homunculus kills can be shared in a party.
|Level||Total EXP||EXP to next Level||Rise %||Level||Total EXP||EXP to next Level||Rise %||Level||Total EXP||EXP to next Level||Rise %||Level||Total EXP||EXP to next Level||Rise %|
- They gain a skill point for every three levels. There is no job level equivalent.
- They obtain additional EXP from server rates, but NOT Battle Manuals.
- Their Flee and Defense is not reduced by the number of monsters.
- Their Hit is capped at 99%. Even if it has way more hit than required for a monster, it will always miss at a 1% chance.
- All Homunculus have a base attack speed of 1.4 seconds / attack (130). Different stat growths lead to different attack speeds of each Homunculus.
- Homunculus stat growth is RANDOM. However, nothing will affect which stats will grow and which stats will not.
- Homunculus can hit Ghost property monsters.
- It is possible to fail to create the embryo.
- Post-renewal the Homunculus stat window is now bugged, many of the stats do not represent real values. For instance ATK and Flee are much lower than its actual value.
- Though the window shows additional Flee, Filir does not receive any from the Accelerated Flight skill.
- The Vanilmirth Skill Instruction Change is bugged and only adds the STR and INT when it levels up. If the player leaves the map, Vaporize, Summon, or Resurrect the homunculus the bonus will be lost. Teleporting does not cause the bonuses to be lost.
- After Amistr´s Castling skill, monsters do not always change target.
- If using a bugged AI Homunculus can kill themselves in PvP.
- If the Homunculus was Vaporized or killed while status effected, it will bug up. (It will get immobilized, vanish and it will get the grim reaper--like the one while affected by Curse-- use Vaporize and Call Homunculus to fix this bug).
- Homunculus can have permanent movement speed increase until one relogs, map changes, teleports, or Vaporizes. It is possible while using Call Homunculus and a Movement Speed increasing item, skill, or gear such as , Increase AGI, Cart Boost or at the same time.
- Both the Homunculus Hunger countdown clock (1 minute timer) and the starvation clock (20 seconds timer) will reset if one relogs, changes map, teleports, or uses Vaporize and Call Homunculus together.
- On iRO, all Homunculus races have been changed to Demihuman for balancing reasons. However, the alternate form of the Vanilmirth is still considered Formless and not Demihuman. Therefore, all Demihuman reductions do not apply versus alternate Vanilmirths. In addition, the Battlegrounds equipment set penalties (damage received is tripled versus non-Demihuman monsters) apply for the alternate Vanilmirth because it is not considered Demihuman.
- Mir AI (Last updated: 2006)
- Rampage AI (No longer updated)
- Rampage AI Lite
- Max Period Homu Calculator
- Homunculus Stat Calculator (Renewal)
- Detailed Stat Growth Chart
|Levels||Drop System · Experience (Quest Table) · Base Level (Base EXP Chart · Base EXP Quests) · Job Level (Job EXP Chart · Job EXP Quests) · Party System · Guild Level · Homunculus Level (S-Type)|