- For specific stats, skills, and item drops on the various monsters in Ragnarok, visit one of the many Databases.
Monsters are the creatures of the Ragnarok Online world that players can kill in order to gain experience to level up. Each monster has its own AI, and some will react differently to players than others. When monsters are killed, the player killing then receives experience, and one or more items may be dropped by the monster. Each monster has an element, a size and a race, which the player can take advantage of using appropriate equipment, skills, and items. Some monsters are also considered Bosses or MVPs, which are usually stronger types of monsters that usually summon slaves. Not all monsters fall under the no-Kill Stealing rule; some are considered Free for All.
There are several types of characteristics of monsters:
- Looter: This monster will take items on the ground. When it is killed, the looted item(s) will be dropped.
- Assist: This monster will assist other monsters of its kind by attacking the person the others are already attacking.
- Aggressive: This monster will begin to attack people once they are in its range of sight.
- Changes Target: This monster will change its current target under certain conditions.
- Cast Sensor: This monster will immediately target a player who is casting a skill on it.
- Detector: This monster can still attack people who are hidden using Hiding, Cloaking, and Stalk.
- Immovable: This monster cannot move unless it is forced to move by a skill (e.g. Jupitel Thunder).
- Non-attacker: This monster does not attack.
- Plant: This monster only takes 1 damage from all attacks. Not to be confused with Plant race
- Boss: This monster is immune to Status Debuffs and Knockback effects.
- MVP: This boss will reward MVP players with additional exp and possibly additional MVP-reward drops.
These monsters are variants of existing monsters that are stronger and offer greater experience. They have the same name as the original monster that they are based on with the addition of a suffix or prefix. All champion monsters have 20% larger sprites, 25% more attack, 5x item drops, 2,5x base exp, 9x job exp, only perform autoattack, and cant use any skills.
There are five types of champion monsters:
- Swift (Alt: Erratic, Prefix): Lv150 aura. These monsters have higher Movement Speed, five times their Max HP.
- Solid (Alt: Armored, Prefix): Green aura. These monsters have lower Movement Speed, ten times their Max HP.
- Ringleader (Alt: Master, Suffix): Blueish appearance. These monsters summon two of the regular versions of themselves. Additionally, they have five times their Max HP.
- Furious (Alt: Angry, Prefix): Reddish appearance. These monsters have higher ASPD, five times their Max HP and slightly higher Hit.
- Elusive (Alt: Nimble, Prefix): Light blue aura. These monsters have five times the health.
- They are not affected by spotlight exp and drops.
- Level 50 and below champion monsters drop Fly Wing.
- Morocc Loyal Vassal on Flame Basin are special case of champion monster, since they have more than 100x their original max HP, and don't drop anything. Their purpose is solely as quest monster.
- Some champion monster will have their behavior changed from their original. Baby Desert Wolf ringleader is aggressive, while original Baby Desert Wolf is passive.
- Ringleader summoned mobs are behaving exactly like their original (except they follow the Ringleader), such as Zombie Masters summoned by their ringleader will summon Ghoul, Fabres summoned by their ringleader will evolve to Pupa and Creamy.
Event monsters are a special kind of monster that are periodically added during events. They typically have the following characteristics:
- They spawn in almost all areas where there are monsters, such as fields and dungeons.
- They have very low maximum HP, but can only receive a maximum of 1 damage per attack, like plants and mushrooms.
- They inflict very low damage.
- They have a high chance of dropping items that are used in the quest associated with the event.
The following are the best areas in which to hunt event monsters:
|Monsters in Ragnarok Online|
|Race||Angel • Brute • Demi Human • Demon • Dragon • Fish • Formless • Insect • Plant • Undead • Human • Doram|
|Element||Holy • Shadow • Neutral • Water • Fire • Wind • Earth • Ghost • Poison • Undead|
|Misc.||Boss Protocol • MVP (Free for All) • Size • Kill Stealing • Monster Skills|